Sohla’s Chocolate-Peppermint Shortbreads | NYT Cooking
Title: Sohla’s Chocolate-Peppermint Shortbreads | NYT Cooking
Author: NYT Cooking
i bet sohla’s the “its not far, we can walk there” friend
It nice that there’s a charming lady baking on The Clementine Show.
I absolutely love Sohla’s roll-with-the-punches approach to cooking and baking. I feel like it gives me permission to take risks and make mistakes in the kitchen.
“Im a cookie person… not a cake persom” Listen, I like butter, flour, and sugar in an oven, the ratio doesnt matter to me
Clementine: Gives no indication that she wants the oven mit. Sohla: shakes it Do you want this oven mit? Clementine: nothing Sohla: I don’t like to give her the oven mits. Also Sohla: gives her the oven mit
Here’s the recipe, these look amazing! FOR THE CHOCOLATE SHORTBREAD: ½ cup/115 grams unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature, plus more for greasing the pan ⅓ cup/75 grams light brown sugar ¾ teaspoon kosher salt 1 egg yolk 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup/130 grams all-purpose flour ⅓ cup/30 grams Dutch-processed cocoa powder FOR THE PEPPERMINT MERINGUE: 2 large egg whites Pinch of kosher salt 6 tablespoons/85 grams granulated sugar ½ teaspoon peppermint extract Red food coloring (optional) FOR BAKING TEMPS/TIMES: Shortbread cookies - bake at 350F x30-35 minutes until dry; feel free to rotate pan halfway. Let cool in tin x10min and then remove and place on cooling rack on a sheet tray. Meringue - after putting meringue on cookies, bake on the cooling rack+sheet tray at 225F x2 hours, then turn off oven and crack oven door open x1 hour, then cut into pieces and allow to cool completely.
I feel Sohla is an icon in the making. The personality, the glasses, the haircut…. she fab
MONTAGE TIME! The ruined meringue was totally worth it.
Sohla: “I love cookies, I’m not a cake person” Claire: “I love cakes, I’m not really a cookie person”
Sohla: “if I can do it, you can do it!” also Sohla: “I need to tap out” Sohla - still the most relatable pro chef out there
“Clementine got some food. She did not do anything to deserve it but you know we got stuff to do.” story of my life
AND A HAMEO????
Thank you for not editing out the mistakes. Helps us to learn and be okay when things don’t always work out.
I love how Sohla always says “I use this, you can use x y z” it is SO helpful to know if you can do this without a stand mixer or with dark brown sugar. Plus clem taking the oven mitt was just precious. Great video, more sohla!
I’m so grateful when cooks and DIYers show us mistakes they make. More human, less perfect, shows us we can make mistakes in the kitchen as well.
- Clementine’s mood appropriately demonstrates the mood I’ve had of most of quarantine…
- ham being sohla’s cameraman is so cute tbh
- For thoes who can’t see the website ingredients. INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHOCOLATE SHORTBREAD: ½ cup/115 grams unsalted butter (1 stick), at room temperature, plus more for greasing the pan ⅓ cup/75 grams light brown sugar ¾ teaspoon kosher salt 1 egg yolk 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup/130 grams all-purpose flour ⅓ cup/30 grams Dutch-processed cocoa powder FOR THE PEPPERMINT MERINGUE: 2 large egg whites Pinch of kosher salt 6 tablespoons/85 grams granulated sugar ½ teaspoon peppermint extract Red food coloring (optional) In this vibrant holiday dessert, cocoa shortbread is pressed into an even layer, baked, then topped with swoops of peppermint meringue (optionally swirled with red food coloring). Back into a low oven it goes for about 2 hours, until the meringue becomes crisp and chewy. Once cooled, it’s cut into rough, jagged pieces. If you don’t have a stand mixer, the shortbread and meringue can be made with a hand mixer or entirely by hand. The mixing times will be significantly longer, so follow the visual cues instead. PREPARATION Grease an 8-by-8-inch brownie pan with butter and line the bottom and two sides with parchment. Set a rack in the lower-middle position of the oven and heat to 350 degrees. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and set on medium-high speed, beat the butter, brown sugar and salt until creamy, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl and paddle with a rubber spatula. Add the yolk and vanilla, and mix until well combined, about 1 minute. Add the flour and cocoa, and mix until everything comes together, about 1 minute, stopping once during mixing to scrape down the paddle and the bowl. Scrape the dough into the prepared pan. Using an offset spatula and your hands, press the dough into the pan as evenly as possible. Use a fork to prick the dough all over. Bake until the shortbread smells chocolatey and feels set and dry, 30 to 35 minutes. Wash and dry the mixing bowl and set aside. Remove shortbread from oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 225 degrees. Using the parchment, lift the cookies out of the pan onto a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet. Make the meringue: Pour water into a medium saucepan to come 1 1/2 inches up the sides and bring to a bare simmer over medium-low heat. Whisk the egg whites, salt and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer just to combine. Set the bowl over the simmering water (bowl should not touch water) and heat the egg mixture, stirring and scraping constantly with a heatproof rubber spatula, until the sugar dissolves, the mixture is hot and steamy, and the temperature registers 175 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 4 to 6 minutes. (Be patient and cook the egg whites slowly so they don’t curdle.) Return the bowl to the stand mixer, and whip the mixture until stiff and glossy, 5 to 7 minutes. Whip in the peppermint extract and scrape the meringue onto the shortbread. Evenly spread the meringue with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. If using liquid food coloring, add a few random drops onto the meringue. If using gel food coloring, use the tip of a toothpick to randomly dab the tiniest bit of food coloring onto the meringue. Using the tip of an offset spatula or spoon, swirl the color into the meringue, creating peaks and streaks. Bake on the wire rack set on the sheet pan until the meringue feels dry and crisp, about 2 hours. Turn off the oven and prop open the door with a wooden spoon. Allow the cookies to cool in the oven, about another hour. Remove from oven and transfer to a cutting board. Cut the cookies into random pieces. The cookies will keep for 1 week stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- I see Clementine has adopted the tactic of many people who find themselves the immediate neighbours of a film set: “Be a nuisance until I am paid to go away”. EDIT: Because people seem to be confused, I am comparing Clementine to HUMAN BEINGS not other dogs
- 10 years and not been able to spend one christmas together?! What?! America fix your worker’s right gosh darn it!
- Somebody get Sohla an Adidas sponsorship!
- Kudos to NYT for giving this woman much-deserved screen time. She’s marvelous.
- Sohla: “I’m not a cake person”. Also Sohla on “Stump Sohla”: “Baking cakes is my favorite thing in life”. Hmmmmm….. I guess she likes to bake them but not eat them?
- i serously thought sohla was like.. max 23 years old, but then she said “married for 10 years” bruh
- IWDFCFSELHK I Would Die For Clem From Sohla El-Waylly’s Home Kitchen
- sohla is so cool and really talented i love seeing her all over youtube now
- Clementine is such a diva! These cookies look good!
- Sohla: If I can do it you can do it! Me: I doubt it… Sohla: I am tapping out.
- love how much sohla is appearing on this channel!
- I’m really loving the “one day later” updates! Sohla is the cheerleader we didn’t know we needed. ❤ Also, I kinda want my meringue to end up chewier like her on-camera batch.
- Can I get “There was fat in the bowl” merch?
- Omg the meringue outfit change was literally so cute!!! We stan a fashion icon
- I think Sohla is so funny. The sincere type of funny that makes you laugh inside your body.
- Clementine’s inexplicable affinity for oven mitts?? 😂
- The real problem with shortbread today, they’re just not making it any longer.
- I love that she still used the flat meringue and tries to prove that we can make w/o a mixer
- appreciate that she’s always teaching and encouraging as she cooks
- The amount of clementine in this video makes me really happy
- “I love cookies, I’m not a cake person.” Proceeds to make cool cake on Babish Culinary Universe.
- #NotAllHeroesCanWhipEggWhites. Thank you Sohla & Ham and the production crew for another great moment in Christmas baking history.
- her kitchen is so cute, I love that it’s not super trendy but still looks cozy and modern
- Clementine was so heartbroken….give it….give her the oven mitt back. Now. Please.
- I believe Clem’s exact words were, “Mom, Mom… Egg Nog”
- that montage was everything
- We heart Sohla! Thank you NYT cooking for all the cookies inspo content! <3
- Love seeing Sohla so much on this channel! ❤️
- I think many of us would love a tour of Sohla’s cookbook collection. I am always looking for new (and old) cookbook recommendations!
- Loved every second of this! And especially loved that we got to see complete total realness - needy pets, mysterious technique fails, everything. Will always click to a Sohla video!
- What is this “maybe I want a small cookie day” that you speak of?
- Praise the CameraHam!
- We need a Claire and Sohla REUNION !😍😍😍😍
- When you eventually move back into those “professional” kitchens please bring clementine.
- “Clean hands are often the best tool” -Sohla
- I always mix meringue by hand, that’s how I was taught. You get stronger fast. Just concentrate on adding air. Re: the failure - I was taught to rinse the bowl with salt and vinegar (then water and dry it off). Also, our teacher taught us that copper will give a better rise to the meringue - but I don’t have a copper bowl yet.
- I wasn’t paying attention I was watching clementine and thinking of ways to be in Clems life lol
- “we don’t need a mixer” - words spoken moments before disaster
- Omg that montages time! Sohla looked like an 80s kid!
- Here : “I love cokies, I’m not a cake person.” On BCU: “Making cake is my favorite thing to do.” I mean, you can obviously love to make something more than you like to eat it, but I just wanted to point it out.
- …it’s gonna take a montage… MONTAGE!!!
- I’m going to try and make this tomorrow it looks so good!
- This is genius. I bet it’s a perfect treat! And I haven’t seen anyone else do it. Just looks such a perfect combination of textures and tastes, and it’s beautiful too.
- Clentinevis my kinda puppy!
- “Today it’s Christmas” wait what xD
- Clementine looks really sad that the oven mit was taken away My heart
- Can’t wait to try this! Watching Sohla is amazing, always bursting with creativity! I always learn so much from her videos! NYT please do a collab between Sohla and Melissa Clark!
- Sohla: I love cookies…I’m not a cake person” Also sohla: “making cake is my favorite thing to do”
- Hope Sohla’s husband is on the payroll! Boy’s putting in work.
- this was really good! but i felt too lazy to make a meringue for the top, and made some cream cheese frosting instead haha.. all around good recipe!!
- No wonder Sohla’s forearms are so jacked. I wouldn’t even try this lmao
- When Ham took away the oven mitt from Clementine, I legit screamed “GIVE IT BACK”
- MONTAGE TIME 😭
- Love the thumbnail, giving me big “Sohla is your god now”
- Clementine is so darn cute and sassy, definitely reminds me of my dogs 😂😍🥰🤣
- Did anyone else feel sad for Clementine when he took the oven mitt away? <3
- I love the Clementine moments. Oh and the cookie looks amazing.
- Im soooo gladd to see her again after all of those things 🥺🥺🥺🥺 instant subscribe !
- I love Clementine the dog, make her a frequent visitor! Dogs make everything better. Visually I prefer the flatter meringue top!
- Can I just express my joy seeing Sohla and Hams relationship
- married 10 years!! How adorable, love you Sohla!
- “The things we do to get work done.” Same girl. Same.
- That was a super endearing cooking video. I love that you just left the mistakes in because that is what cooking at home is like, especially when you make new things! And the montage was worth it!
- this is peak ‘video sohla’ perfect in its' imperfection!
- I too have a sassy bulldog! 😂 Clementine is freaking adorable!
- How she gunna say “cake is my favorite” on binging with babish then say “I’m not a cake person”? Girl what.
- The oven mitt MELTED MY HEART! <3
- I’m in love with Clementine
- Ah Sohla, you’re just so darn lovable! Thank you for sharing this with us, and Merry Christmas!🎄💕😘
- looks like clementine is making peppermint BARK too :)
- I want to hug Clementine <3
- Made me giggle to see Kenji’s book on the shelf!
- I know it’s about the cookies which look amazing but I LOVE her tattoos!
- So good! Simple mistakes are sooooo much a part of cooking. We can all learn from modesty.🤙🤙
- This is one of the most enjoyable cooking videos I’ve seen in a long time. Sohla is an absolute delight!
- 😂 did Sohla just say she’s not a cake person?! Didn’t she bake Berry Crocker cakes every day when she was little? 😅
- these look delicious and when I move into a flat with an oven, I shall finally taste these lol
- I love Sohla’s personality so much!! She’s so resilient and hilarious😂 plus all her recipes are SOOOO good!!!✨
- shoutout to ham for helping sohla film every one of these videos, i see his hands popping up in the side of the frame everynow and then, we love a supportive husband
- When she gives Clemintine the oven mitt
- I can’t wait to try this recipe out! The cookies look good.
- Delicious cookie, and I loved the Ham cameos too. :D
- I really love the idea of putting twinkle lights on her cupboards 💜
- This was so much fun! Loved this
- All I want for Xmas is to find someone like Sohla. So talented and interesting and awkward.
- Clementine is so cute 🥺💗
- I like sohla soooo much, I hope she has an amazing holiday season!
- Love the montage that was cute editing
- Pre-cut parchment and foil is such a luxury! For the days when you just Do Not Want to deal with prep. Like most of 2020.
- Haha love this! Looks delish too!
- Whipping meringue by hand - Giving me nightmares of Culinary school when i had to do it 3 times by hand in a row because my first 2 times were a fail because bowl wasn’t clean enough.. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
- I love a peppermint mocha and I love shortbread, so this is right up my alley.
- Clementines are my favourite flavour, smell and oven-mitt-eating dog.
- This looks tasty! Thanks for sharing! Let’s stay connected!
- At the beginning of all this, I was appalled to realize so many people didn’t know how to wash their damn hands.
- Clementine is sooooo adorable! 😍
- I see Sola, I click 😍
- I’m definitely going to try these! I love that she stuck with the suboptimal merengue - I’m so annoyed with the whole “if it’s not perfect, toss it and start over” vibe a lot of chefs give. Like, no, those cookies are still going to be absolutely delicious, there’s no reason to waste that merengue! Anyway, rant over, these cookies look awesome.
- clementine has my heart ❤️
- I’m feeling the “cooking with chaos” vibe
- I was wondering how much time went between heating and whipping! Haha happy lil accidents :) still good!
- Clementine needs a mini cooking glove ❤️
- I know I’m in for a treat when I click on video with Sohla in it
- I’m with you on the room for precut parchment!!!!
- this looks SO DELICIOUS! also clementine you are an angel and we love you
- I love that Clementine got your oven mitt to play with 🤣 I recently adopted a beagle and I have had to replace all my oven mitts for the very same reason.
- I want the space to precut parchment too!
- Sohlaaaaaaa! I love you! I’m so glad I can watch you again. 😭😭😭
- Sohla–“If I can do this, you can do this too.” It’s because you can do it that I’m certain I won’t be able to, lol. But I appreciate the enthusiastic vote of confidence!
- I’m glad I’m not the only one who asks their pets “what is your heart’s desire?”
- Montage was everything!!!!
- Sohla: time to make cookies! Us: SHOW US THE DOGGO
- Maybe, do a video about Sohla’s favorite cookbooks from the collection they showed.
- Sohla, you just make me feel good watching you cook. I’ll do the shortbread, but not the peppermint part, maybe almond.
- OMG Clementine is the absolute CUTEST!!!! I love Sohla. She’s awesome. And these cookies look fantastic.
- 2021 will be Sohla’s year, I’m callin it!
- I love cookies and would definitely make this recipe.
- I really wish we got some sort of Bon Appétit holiday special with the whole gang this year 😢
- Clem was so sad when the mitt got taken lmao
- 0:37 👏🏽 christmas
- 2:56 can we get a visual asmr type of video scraping kitchen tools👌😍
- I think I’ve seen Rie McClenny (Tasty) hand whip meringue, so I was looking forward to an equally stunning result. Too bad about the bowl, but I enjoyed the montage! ☺️
- The montage was everything
- this was the best video so far :) so funny! and happy christmas sohla, glad you are able to enjoy it this year
- Pandemic already highlighted just how much they go through to bring us these videos, but hearing Sohla has only spent 2 holidays with her husband in 10 years really drives it home. Thanks for all the great content!
- Soothed by Sohla’s bookshelf! Also, these look delicious.
- Oooooh! This recipe looks really good
- kudos to ham for the great camera work!
- Sohla is such a fun chef! 😀❤️ I loved the montage. And I think it’s really cool that she showed the mistakes because we can learn from them as well. 🙌🙌🙌
- I loved seeing your book titles - Flavorwalla! I’d love to read to have a copy of Flavorwalla.
- clementine just made the video even more lovely
- Come for the peppermint swirl, stay for the tracksuit montage.
- I’m proudly BOTH a cookie and cake person! 🤣
- Umm imma need a run through of Sohla’s cookbook library 😍
- Clementine is such a beauty!
- I love that Sohla always gives alternatives, just in case you don’t have the exact same ingredients as she does.
- 10 years! Congratulations you two
- a pretty and inventive cookie…thank you! I was afraid the topping was white chocolate, but the light meringue is a better, cleaner tasting choice!
- Móntage: totally worth it.
- Love seeing sohla here! 😊
- That royalty free rocky montage music made my day
- I love my precut parchment sheets, I keep the propped up against a cabinet wall they’re only and inch thick. You can have up to a tsp of oil for a few egg whites and be fine
- Camera man has the prettiest tattoos I’m kinda in love
- what brand of cocoa powder do you recommend?
- Beautiful! Loved this. Your strata vid was a bit frenetic. Were you okay?
- That montage time is funny as hell 😂😂😂
- This was fun to watch! Great personality